Re: [open-cobol-list] writing concurrent code : possible with gnucobol?

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] writing concurrent code : possible with gnucobol?
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 08:13:53 -0500

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
hi,

do cobol in general and gnucobol specifically possess any capabilities
that can facilitate writing programs which can take advantage of
today's multi-core hardware systems?

suppose i wish to write a financial accounting system running atop a
gnu/linux based distribution like say ubuntu, would gnucobol run as a
single threaded process? or can i introduce concurrency? and is it easy
to achieve?

if yes, any pointers for reading material would be nice to have. :)

thanks,

Update and correction; I wrote the last message too fast. (And pretty much verified Dr. Hipp's views). libmicrohttpd was likely using "fork" when the small demo I setup was borked. Threading will be a deeper issue, and will almost always need lock step code to protect shared data spaces.

Sorry for any confusion my initial, less than clear message sounded. Threads are evil, avoid them. ;-)

Brian

~mayuresh