gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] focus nightmare

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] focus nightmare
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:19:26 +0100

Hi Marcos. The way you describe it working is the way I would expect it
- any new input *should* go immediately after the last existing record,
not to some arbitrary later row entry.

Suppose you were entering invoice lines, where each invoice can have any

number (1 or more) lines. If I tried to enter invoice line 3 first, I
would not expect the system to create an empty line 1 and 2 first,
especially since those rows might have some mandatory values that there
were no reasonable defaults for.

I would have expected that when you do not have enough rows to fill the
grid, as you describe:
* the filled rows can be accessed for editing
* the first unfilled row can be accessed for insert
* the remaining rows are inactive - they could, I suppose, be greyed out

if the UI was clever enough.

I suspect that what you are trying to do is something a bit different,
in
that the five (or however many) rows are each for a specific purpose,
each
of which may or may not be needed. In which case, I would suggest
putting
a trigger in so that when the master record is committed, it
automagically
creates the five detail records - but you will have to decide on default

values (even if just "not applicable" or "overtype this, bozo") for any
mandatory fields in the detail records.

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

--
Peter Sullivan <address@hidden>

> ----- Forwarded message from Marcos Dione <address@hidden> -----
>
> From: Marcos Dione <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Gnue-dev] focus nightmare
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:42:26 -0300
>

>   and I quote [typos fixed]:
>
>   [06:10] <StyXman> but the problem is that I have this nice fowm with
lookups
>   [06:11] <StyXman> the lookips are the same entry with rows=5
>   [06:11] <StyXman> suppose I have no record that match my query
>   [06:11] <StyXman> suppose I click in the 3rd lookup
>   [06:12] <StyXman> suppose I start writing in this 3rd entry.
>   [06:13] <StyXman> the focus is 'there', even the 'cursor' (that '|'
thingy)
>   [06:13] <StyXman> but as you write the letters appear in the 1st (!!!)
entry