gnue-dev

Re: gnue-designer

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: gnue-designer
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:11:23 +0200

Dear Randall,

I'm answering these questions from my limited knowledge of designer, I
guess the only person able to give better answers is Jason Cater, the
initial author of gnue-designer.

Am Freitag, den 24.09.2010, 14:21 -0700 schrieb Randall Whitman:
> Is there any list of tasks as to what is needed, or is this yet
> unknown? Is there a design document of architectural or API changes
> between older and current versions of GNUe Common & Forms?  (beyond
> bzr diff.)

AFAICT, there never was a documented API between GNUe Forms and GNUe
Designer. GNUe Designer accesses internal data structures of GNUe Forms,
and I'm not sure this is easy to change.

Having said that, I think the biggest change in GNUe Forms which
requires a change in Designer is the change from a character based
absolute positioning paradigm to a layout management paradigm.

So in older versions, in a form you would have defined an entry to be
positioned at x=3, y=5.

Now, you define e.g. a vertical box with several entries, and GNUe Forms
automatically positions these entries vertically below each other.

> Has anyone assessed whether the level of effort is expected to be
> hours, days, weeks, or/vs months of work?

I have no idea about this.

Thanks,
Reinhard