gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GnuspeechSA 0.1.6

From: Marcelo Y. Matuda
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GnuspeechSA 0.1.6
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 23:02:27 -0300

On 06-05-2017 21:24, David Roderic Hill wrote:
Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your comment on Gnuspeech.

To have Gnuspeech speak Portugese requires a significant amount of work. First Monet has to have the ability to save and retrieve database files implemented (should be pretty straightforward). Then you have to characterise the basic postures of Portugese in terms of the tube radii and test them. Then you need to create models of Portugese intonation and rhythm and test them. Has anyone worked on the rhythm and intonation of Portugese?

There are many researchers in Brazil working on portuguese speech synthesis, but many implementations are closed.

Finally you have to create a pronouncing dictionary, orthography-to-postures, for Portugese, with a method of using the dictionary to get the pronunciation of derivative words from the
ones actually in the dictionary, and a pre-parser to deal with
standard items like dates and numbers to ensure that they are
converted into a normal pronounceable form. Finally you need a set of
letter-to-sound rules for Portugese in case there are words that are
not found in the dictionary or obtained by the derivative
procedures.

Monat was designed to support such work, and it is what we used to create the databases for English

Similar steps are required to create the databases for any
additional language that you want Gnuspeech to speak. There are
precompiled manuals Monet and TRAcT manuals on my university website
give insight into what we did:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca

The Latex source files for the manuals are on the Gnuspeech project FSF site. The illustrations use the Mac OSX version where screen shots are used. It took three of us rather less than a year to go from having no tools, to having created the tools, and used them to create the databases and a working system.

All good wishes.

david ------- David R. Hill Emeritus Professor University of Calgary
 Gnuspeech FSF project leader