gpsd-dev

✘Input device permissions

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: ✘Input device permissions
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 17:24:02 -0700

Yo All!

I have resolved most of the Coverity issues.  Coverity is good at
finding buffer overflows, dereferenced NULL pointers, and such.  It is
also good for being too clever by half.  With the odd gpsmon crash it
seemd like a good timme to clear the list.

Sadly, nothing related to gpsmon came up, and only a few cases in very
unlikely corners.

ONe thing did strike me.  gpsd changes the file permissions on the input
devices it is given on the command line.  Like /dev/ttyS0.

This surprised me.  gpsd set the devices to be group rw by the group
that gpsd is in.  Which requires gpsd be root, or already have access
to those devices.

That seems at odds with my understanding of modern practice.

Should I leave that code alone?

Should I change the code to warn on improper permissions, but leave them
as is?

Or?

RGDS
GARY