gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:47:47 -0500

On 1/15/21 10:03 AM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

On 1/15/21 3:15 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
     "Sudo? Sudon't!"

         https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont

lines like

sudo is "Security Theater". Having sudo enabled on a computer makes it
demonstrably less secure.
If you must be root, then become, and stay root. Just sudon’t.

are your personal opinion and have nothing to do with gpsd. Nothing that
should be in a documentation about gpsd. I'm sure there is some linux
best practices book where they belong into.

And to readers who don't already agree with it, I think this particular claim
just makes the author look silly.... If you _really_ want it to be in there,
you should probably substantiate so that readers actually take it seriously
instead of just dismissing it as the ramblings of a crank.

Instead I'd suggest that you check the uid in ubxtool and fail if
somebody tires to run it as root, maybe add a --yes-i-know-what-i-do
flag to force running it as root.

Or even specifically check for one of the environment variables that sudo sets
to indicate that a process is running under sudo (e.g. SUDO_USER, SUDO_UID,
SUDO_GID...)
if you really just want people to stop people from using _sudo_ specifically....

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network!
<https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>