gpsd-dev

Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 22:21:20 +0100

Hi!

> > > I find A-GPS near useless with the most modern devices.  Until
> > > recently the vendors refused to even document the process.
> >
> > It really depends on antena quality etc. PinePhone has very bad GPS
> > reception, and Librem 5 is not too great either (there may be hardware
> > improvements pending in that case). A-GPS should be useful there. On
> > many phones GPS reception is not really useful without A-GPS, as noone
> > tested that variant.
>
> I can't speak to the PinePhone, but my tests have never shown an
> advantage to A-GPS on a modern multi-constellation receiver.

That's weird. Theoretical cold start is 40seconds w/o A-GPS, with
A-GPS it should take lock in few seconds. Anyway, I'm trying to get
gpsd working with gnss-share/geoclue, not solve A-GPS.

> > > Echoed char by char?  Sentence by sentence?  Buffered?
>
> No answer?

Clayton knows this and he answered that IIRC.

> > Should I gather longer logs?
>
> Not if they are corrupted like that.  Longer is not much better, varied
> is much better.  Like startup -> signal lock -> signal loss -> signal lock.

Ok, I'll try to gather them. But note that it is going to be PinePhone
and Librem 5 support, and what I'm trying to accomplish at the moment
is gnss-share support :-).

Best regards,

                                                                 Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.