gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Blocked device when using ldattach

From: Tomalak Geret'kal
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Blocked device when using ldattach
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:17:36 +0000

[reinjected into the list]

Why not let gpsd handle the PPS for you?  PPS without knowledge of
the current second is not very usefull anyway.

That depends entirely on what you want to do with it. Using
it as a reference for a time sync measurement, for example,
doesn't need time of day at all, and that's what keeps all
your telecom networks running.

I understqnd why you want PPS data (telecom, etc) but why not let
gpsd handle that for you?

Handle what? A proprietary telecoms metric, that is
calculated on an FPGA? No...

I am baffled how you can have a proprietary FPGA attached
to /dev/ttyS0 ??

/dev/ttyS0 has nothing to do with it. The PPS goes straight into the FPGA, while NMEA continues to stream over the serial link.

I just wanted to make the point that PPS has a whole wide range of uses, and not all of them require time-of-day at all. Timing is distinct from time.

Though, to answer your next question, no I can't think of a use for PPS going into the software stack (and thus potentially into gpsd) that doesn't involve time-of-day.

Tom