gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] PPS MID 52 (0x34) working?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] PPS MID 52 (0x34) working?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 00:46:52 -0700

Yo Alexander!

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:02:58 -0700
Alexander Carver <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 6/4/2012 22:27, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Alexander Carver<address@hidden>:
> >> It's interesting that you say it's useless when gpsd's code turns
> >> it on at startup (unless given the -b flag):
> >
> > Gary didn't write that initializxation; I did.  My reasooning was
> > that the in-band PPS message would be better than nothing if there
> > were no real PPS.
>
> I'm not sure it's actually working correctly then.

I have to agree.

>  Although I do
> have a PPS signal from the GPS coming in on the DCD line, gpsd can't
> see it due to the sparc serial port driver (my PPS is currently
> brought into ntpd separately via a second serial port).

Then you are totally bypassing gpsd's PPS support.  So not much we
can do to help.

>  Turning off
> that message helped reduce the wander in the time stamp reported by
> gpsd over SHM(0).

Which, if the PPS is working, is totally irrelevant.  If PPS is not
working I would worry about getting PPS working since it will get you
10,000x better time.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588