gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Ideas for Kenwood D700 Radio Support

From: IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR
Subject: [gpsd-users] Ideas for Kenwood D700 Radio Support
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:35:16 -0400

List Members,

I own a Kenwood D700 Amateur Radio that I have not blown the dust off of and used in quite some time. It is an "APRS radio", meaning it has a port on it that can have a GPS plugged into it. Once the GPS is plugged into the radio it queries the GPS for particular NMEA strings and uses them to transmit my location to other Amateur Radio Operators and displays some info on the LCD too.

I am not sure if the Earthmate Hyperformance is compatible with the D700 yet (I have to research it). But, if the Earthmate Hyperformance is not (due its binary mode), then I'd like to consider how hard it might be to get gpsd to accept commands via a serial port and answer back with the proper NMEA strings it gets from the Earthmate.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Amateur_Radio_Retired/TM-D700A

This link also (if you click "downloads") indicates their ways of interfacing to the radio. I plan to reacquaint myself with it this evening.

Ideas?

V/R and 73,

Stuart, N3GWG

--

IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR, N3GWG (Extra), MROP
NR N-NC JTF EAST DET UIC 84245

Las Vegas, NV / Boulder, CO / Philadelphia, PA / Beverly Hills, CA

(310) 358-0202 Mobile Phone
(215) 338-6005 Google Voice

e-mail: address@hidden