gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Ideas for Kenwood D700 Radio Support

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Ideas for Kenwood D700 Radio Support
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:04:40 -0700

Note, the D700 (of which I own two) does NOT poll a GPS receiver at all. It simply listens for the common NMEA sentences that contain latitude, longitude, altitude, speed and time (GPRMC and GPGLL at minimum), parses them into internal buffers and then assembles the APRS packet to send. The only transmissions a D700 is capable of making is a waypoint upload (GPWPL) which would plot a waypoint on a receiver. This feature can be turned off and the D700 needs only a receive wire from the GPS to function normally.