gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Proposed 9600 baud option for gpspipe

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Proposed 9600 baud option for gpspipe
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:19:16 -0700

Yo Stuart!

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 08:07:10 -0400
"IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR" <address@hidden> wrote:

> After a quick non invasive look at gpspipe code, I could not see why
> it spits the first batch of JSON code in "-r" mode (I only figure it
> must be buried in the libgps code somewhere I guess), however, I was
> able to generate some code that would offer up the 9600 baud option.

As the original author of gpspipe I'm surprised to see any serial code
sneak in there at all.  If I had been awake I would have protested
at the time.  That code does nothing that an stty and a pipe could not
do WAY better.

Given that someone snuck it in, if you are going to fix it, then
fix it right.  That means letting the user set any speed from the
comment line, not jjust 4800 or 9600.  Both are way to slow for any
modern GPS to send all the data they want to send.

Plus, any code submissions need matching doc updates.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588