gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Binary protocol using

From: Anthony Stirk
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Binary protocol using
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 21:38:13 +0100

I note it *should* work (I did read the man pages) however I don't think its calculating the check sum correctly. I'm not entirely sure its creating the command correctly at all. Please correct me if I'm being dumb here (wouldn't be the first time) but the command I'm requesting isn't the one being issued to the GPS module as far as I can tell. I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

Anthony

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Yo Anthony!
>
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:13:10 +0100
> Anthony Stirk <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > They are always in binary mode you can issue UBX commands to a Ublox
> > module without issuing any preceding commands. By default a Ublox
> > module will output NMEA as expect but you can issue commands either
> > via the proprietary binary UBX protocol or the PUBX protocol. The
> > "clever stuff" like switching dynamic model is done via UBX.
>
> Maybe this should be added to gpsctl.  Lot's of people want to set
> the uBlox into stationary mode.  Then you can have gpsctl compute that
> pesky checksum for you.

It already does.  That's what the control-send method is for; you give
it a payload, it wraps the load in the right checksum for the selected
device type and ships it.  This is even documented. :-)