gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Binary protocol using

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Binary protocol using
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 07:19:02 -0400

Anthony Stirk <address@hidden>:
> Messy is better than the current method which doesn't work :) How can we
> move this forward and get it implemented ?

I'm *not* going to implement it as a substitute for figuring out what's
wrong with the -x method; that way lies danger.  Papering over known bugs by
adding elaborate new features isn't going to happen.

You can move this forward by doing a test with the -x and -e options
and a hex dumper to pin down what gpsctl is actually emitting, then
figuring out what it ought to be emitting, then telling us what
the difference is.

Later, some sort of capability feature such as Gary describes may be
added to save people the labor of composing the -x strings in common
cases.