gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring PPS on mini PCI-e

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring PPS on mini PCI-e
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 00:53:05 -0700

Yo Jean-Michel!

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:22:38 +0200
Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <address@hidden> wrote:

> GOOZE would like to release a cheap and interesting mini PCI-e card
> with GPS and 1PPS output. We are discussing with the developers and
> they propose to wire the PPS to a pin on mini PCI-e, when we propose
> to use the UART to USB bridge.

If you connect to a pin on the mini-PCIe you will need to write your
own Linux/Windows drivers.  If you connect to the USB/UART you can likely use
existing drivers.

> What is the preferred way in your opinion?

A dedicated pin would be more accurate, but the USB/UART would be plug
and play.  The USB/UART, using USB 1.1, would be around 1 milliSec
accuracy and a dedicated pin could be 1000x more accurate.

A good compromize would be if you could use a USB 2.0 UART which would give
you almost as much accuracy as the dedicated pin.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588