gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)

From: Thomas P.
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:56:19 +0100

Hi,

On Wednesday 19 November 2014 10:59:58 Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Michael Weiser <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Since it's expressly advertised for time keeping purposes it should
> > provide PPS. But unfortunately it's got a SIRF-III chipset which most
> > likely won't work all that well in doors.
>
> I find the SiRF III work fine indoors.  But not the SiRF IV.
>
> I use these indoors:
>
> http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-58-mr-350p-bulkhead.aspx#images/product/large/5
> 8.jpg

GPS is a very weak signal and getting enough signal for any receiver through a
wall is quite unlikely. So if one works, this is just on the edge and you have
very thin wooden walls or roof.

So if one receiver works and and other not, it first a question of antenna
attenuation, LNA setup on the PCB or other signal strength impacting things.

But I would not expect, 1dB more or less sensitivity such a chipset version
has more or less would make a difference. (And newer chipsets typically have
better sensitivity than olders)

Kind regards,

Thomas