gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:05:42 -0800

Yo Thomas!

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:56:19 +0100
"Thomas P." <address@hidden> wrote:

> GPS is a very weak signal and getting enough signal for any receiver
> through a wall is quite unlikely. So if one works, this is just on
> the edge and you have very thin wooden walls or roof.

My experience says otherwise.  I find the uBlox6 and SiRF III have no
trouble in most buildings I am in.  And not on the edge, quite strong.
I do agree that steel and/or tall building are very hard on a GPS
signal, but that is not something I often see.

> But I would not expect, 1dB more or less sensitivity such a chipset
> version has more or less would make a difference. (And newer chipsets
> typically have better sensitivity than olders)

My experience says otherwise.  Many of the newest GPS chips have
emphasized power saings over receiver sensitivity.  Way more than dB.
For example, I find the SiRF IV to perform very poorly compared to the
SiRF III.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588