gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Trimble accutime GG

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Trimble accutime GG
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:42:42 -0800

Yo Venkatesh!

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:38:39 -0500
Venkatesh Sandilya <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have used the gpsd (3.9) software for many months now to connect to
> Trimble accutime gold GPS receivers and it has worked fine. I get a
> fix and the xgps client program reads the lat/lon, the time and other
> details. However, the accutime gold was phased out by Trimble and
> they have a new model called accutime gg. With the GG, gpsd cannot
> get a fix although I see satellites in view and the time (UTC) is
> also displayed. Is there a fix for this in the latest version? Has
> anyone come across this issue on here?

In general, gpsd should have no effect on whether your GPS can get a fix
or not.  gpsd mostly just decodes the data the GPS sends.

gpsd could be at fault if your new GPS is sending a good lat/lon but
gpsd is not decoding it.  Have you looked at the raw GPS output to see
if it really does have a fix?

We do see that different GPS models have different hardware sensitivities
and new ones of the same brand are occassionally less sensitive than the
older models.  For example the SiRF III's work much better indoors than
the SiRF IV's.

It may be that being a new GPS it has not yet downloaded a full almanac.
Have you tried taking the GPS outside to a good sky view and just let it
sit (powered on) for a few hours?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588