gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)

From: Michael Weiser
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:35:19 -0000

Hi Gary,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:27:28AM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> > works indoors. Now I'm now trying to get a hold of a GR-601W (or 701W
> > as Navisys lists it on their website:
> Not the same, the 601W is uBlox 6, the 701W is uBloox 7.  Not sure if
> that make a noticeable difference.

Ah, well, ublox 6 is Galileo-ready and ublox 7 isn't as far as I can
see. But who knows when that'll actually make a difference. :-/

> > I'd be willing to order a bunch (10-20) from Taiwan and distribute
> > them to other interested users in Europe (if enough can be found). I
> They respond nicely to emailed RFQs.
[...]
> I could sell you one, I have a few 601Ws left.

Looking again I, found their sales email address and gave that a whirl.
Keep you posted and possibly get back to you on your offer if it doesn't
work out. Thanks!

> > Or is there an alternative (possibly involving some very minor
> > soldering-iron-holding)?
> You could try an RS-232 GPS w/ PPS on a USB 2.0 serial adapter.  I have
> had that on my todo list for a while.  It will be costlier and funkier.

Nice idea. I have a number of PL2303-based ones floating around
somewhere which are well suited for the purpose, I gather. But I'd still
need a serial GPS receiver that works well indoors (so no SIRF chipset
but ublox 5/6/7). There aren't any providing PPS on the hardware list.
Do you know more than the list?

German manufacturer Gude (which also produces the DCF77 receiver I've
got) also has a GPS receiver:
http://www.gude.info/en/radio-time-systems/gps-time-receiver/expert-gps-clock-0508.html.
Since it's expressly advertised for time keeping purposes it should
provide PPS. But unfortunately it's got a SIRF-III chipset which most
likely won't work all that well in doors.
--
Thanks!
Michael