gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Compiling gpsd from scratch

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Compiling gpsd from scratch
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 15:20:16 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
>> Normally, INSTALL is about building from source.  I do see in INSTALL
>> now that it points to build.txt
>>
>> I do see in README (now) that it points to build.txt.
>>
>> So hard to say what, really, but even more obvious pointers would
>> probably help people.
>
> Er, where else could I put one?

At the very top of INSTALL, saying:

 The content that is normally in INSTALL is in build.txt.

Or better yet, rearrange so that INSTALL describes what everyone expects
it to: how to go from a release tarball to installed code, more or less.

And put what to do with installed code that you got from INSTALL or a
binary package in another file.

Another suggestion is to make README be just a list of pointers to other
files, with description of what's in them.

Basically, I was reading too fast, so from that POV it was my fault.
But I was boggled at the contents not matching the norms, which may or
may not be unusual.