gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD, PPS, Garmin 18x LVC and 93 meters of serial cable

From: gpsd
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD, PPS, Garmin 18x LVC and 93 meters of serial cable
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:52:25 +1000

On 25/11/2014 8:47 PM, Sander Smeenk wrote:

Hi Sander,

> I'm trying to use a Garmin 18x LVC GPS receiver to provide a stratum1
> time source in our network. The receiver is connected to the server by
> 93 meters of CAT6 UTP over which the GPS' serial outputs are
> patched/connected.

Whoa!

A cable length of 93m is WAY outside the spec for conventional RS232 (30 feet or 10m).

The 18LVC doesn't use RS232 signalling levels (-30 to -3; +3 to +30) either - it outputs 'TTL' level 232 (0-5V) - so I'm surprised that you're getting any sane data at all, and the skew on your PPS pulse must be awful.

Before fighting with GPSd, I would recommend that you get your serial cabling right.

I can think of 2 ways:

1. Move the timeserver hardware up to the GPS, use PoE to power it and Ethernet link back down to your network. Some hardware like a Raspberry Pi or Gumstix (or maybe even a Beagelbone - haven't used these though) would all work fine as a timeserver. Then build GPSd and all should be good.

2. If you can't move the timeserver hardware, you're going to have to use differential line drivers at each end of your cable to get the RS232 to travel the distance. Basically you need three RS232 to RS422 converters at each end - one for TX, one for RX, one for PPS. This is a pretty standard setup for transmitting RS232 over long distances.

I'm not sure what doing the RS232-RS422-RS232 translation is going to do to your PPS timing though. Gary Miller is likely to have better thoughts on this than me (he's the Garmin Guru!).

ciao, Dave

TX/RX is working fine, i get clear NMEA sentences from the GPS, however
the pulse is failing and that's exactly what's most important. ;)

The GPS does have a 3DFIX et al, so it's not that it doesn't have any
fix to pulse from.

I've tried to measure the pulse and it came up with 4.84 volts, however
the server is not registering the pulse. Also, gpsd 3.11 when starting
up logs "pps":false consistently while on another box with gpsd 3.10 it
always starts with "pps":true and gpsmon sporadically registers (logs) a
PPS pulse.

What makes gpsd 'enable' the PPS 'subsystem'?
Why is one box (3.10) seeing/trying to see it while the other one (3.11) isn't?

I'm now reading about the ground pins not being exactly zero volts, that
might cause the signal not to register correctly for RS232-specs?
Perhaps the one box is more 'sensitive' than the other? I'm just
guessing...

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Sndr.

--