gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] how to send control string (command) to device with <CR

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] how to send control string (command) to device with <CR><NL> included in string
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 17:56:21 -0700

Yo Howard (US COM)!

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 15:02:06 +0000
"Stoner, Howard (US COM)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I apologize if this msg was sent twice, but not sure if I was a group
> member when I tried to send it yesterday, so it may not have gone
> through...

no worries, just one copy came through.

> I'm new to this list, and didn't find anywhere else to ask this
> question and get a response, so I'm asking here.

you got the right place.

> I am trying to figure out how a local application (running linux on
> an embedded SoC) can send a command to my GPS device

Sadly gpsd does not do a good job of this.  Most people that care
usually patch the copy of gpsd to send their fave setup strings.

> From reading the gpsd daemon documentation, it
> sounds like sending a message via the Control Socket connection, of
> the form "!/dev/ttyxx=$PMTK..." should do this.

I've never tried, nor remember anyone else doing so.  If you can grab
git head we can work on this with you.

> I also tried doing this with the 'gpsctl' client,
> which only works if I have gpsd NOT connected to the device at the
> time.

Well, that would be a bug.  Sadly also a dark and dusty corner of the
gpsd code.  Some people have gotten that to work, but never fed back
their procedure.  But any reason not to send the string before starting
gpsd?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588