gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Montana 600, gpsd and Arch Linux

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Montana 600, gpsd and Arch Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 00:14:14 -0700

Yo Pedro!

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 21:50:27 +0100
Pedro Antonio Neves <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to connect my Garmin Montana 600 GPS to my PC running Arch
> Linux and use gpsd to interface with other programs such as Opencpn,
> qgis, etc.

Should be fine.

> On Linux Mint 18 (amd64), using gpsd 3.15 and on Arch (also amd64)
> but with gpsd 3.16.3 I'm not able to get the GPS to comunicate with
> gpsd.

Odd, there is no gpsd 3.16.3.  The latest is gpsd 3.16.  Have you tried
building from the 3.16 tar ball, or from git head?

> Arch Linux uses sytemd and on my system I have the following units
> loaded and running:

systemd is problematic.  Most people tell systemd not to muck with the
gpsd config.

> When I plug the GPS on my laptop, two more units are loaded:

UNits are not a gpsd thing, so not sure what that means...

> Journalctl gives the following info when the GPS is connected to the
> laptop using the USB port:

journald will not give us anything useful.  We need the debug output
from gpsd.

run gpsd this way, after plugging in your GPS:

# su -
# killall gpsd
# gpsd -nND 8 /dev/ttyUSB0

> If I try to use xgps, no info shows up. If I run:
>
> gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0, I get:
> gpsmon:ERROR: device open of /dev/ttyUSB0 failed: Device or resource
> busy - retrying read-only
> gpsmon:ERROR: read-only device open of /dev/ttyUSB0 failed: Device or
> resource busy

That one is easy, gpsd is already running.  So you should just run "gpsmon"
with no device name.

> sudo gpsd -N -D3 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock , I get:
>

> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.16)
> gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use

systemd has already grabbed the port, you need to make it not do that.

> I cannot find what is blocking/using /dev/ttyUSB0. If I try:
>
> lsof -n | grep /dev/ttyUSB0, this is all I get:

It is not blocking on the device, it is blocking on the TCP/IP port: 2947.
Systemd is grabbing it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588