gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X USB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X USB
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 10:16:36 -0800

Yo Barak!

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 09:18:00 -0600
Barak Griffis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Has anyone had luck with the Garmin 18X USB?
> gpsmon gives no data, nor does tail -f /dev/ttyUSB0

The Garmin USB GPS is a cruddy binary protocol and needs ACKs
to continue sending data.  So the tail trick will not work.

The Garmin 16 and 17 are known to work.  I don't know about the 18x.

Have you tried gpsd from the git repositiry?

The 18x was never really very good, and is now pretty old.  There are
much better and cheaper USB GPS out there now.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588