gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Galileo

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Galileo
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 20:59:06 +0000

> > (quite hard to do if you have a systemd system!)

> Easy:  "killall -9 gpsd"

The darned thing is unstoppable!

 systemctl stop gpsd.service
 systemctl disable gpsd.service
 systemctl stop gpsd.socket
 systemctl disable gpsd.socket

Still gpsd is running, so I killall -9 gpsd
and within a couple of seconds, a new instance of gpsd
is running.  No I haven't got any clients opening the control
socket.  I end up having to temporarily rename the binary.
Haven't got to the bottom of this yet.  I can only do so much
at a time with systemd, then I have to go watch funny cat
videos on you-tube for a while.

> >   stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -echo
> The '-echo' not needed,

I find that without turning off echo, the serial port reflects
the incoming NMEA back to the u-blox which then complains
about unrecognised commands.

> > Yes I think all the 8 series can do three GNSS.

> Much more.  BeiDou, QZSS, etc.

Indeed but I think only at most three GNSS networks at
a time.

Yes you definitely need to save the settings after enabling
the three GNSS and setting protocol 4.1: gpsd doesn't do
that for you - I think that's a good policy, I wouldn't want
gpsd second-guessing and overriding my settings.

To save the settings: UBX-CFG-CFG (0x06 0x09) with saveMask
field set to 0x61f, works for me.

I think that when the u-blox is set up correctly for the three
networks and you can see GAGSV in the NMEA and your settings
are saved, gpsd is sure to be using the full solution.

--
Paul Nicholson