gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Non functional SiRF

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Non functional SiRF
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 14:06:56 -0700

Yo Dominic!

On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:35:58 -0400
Dominic Amann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using a gps (already in hundreds of pieces of sold hardware)
> that we were supporting directly. I like the idea of gpsd, because we
> have also told people they can plug in their own gps and use it.

Cool.  What version gpsd?  From where?

> However, our gps (the Maestro A5100) is dutifully recognized as a SiRF
> modem, gpsd cheerfully puts it into SiRF binary, and then nary a
> message is returned to upper levels (I see binary stuff on the
> serial, but gpsd does nothing with it).

Ouch.  Send a log file (gpspipe -R > GPS.log) and I'll look at it.

> When I force the gps into nmea mode, everything is good - gps lock,
> updates etc work as designed and I have coded a watcher that reports
> position from the gps_data struct and everything.

Good.

> So the question is - can I reliably force the gps into nmea mode on
> gpsd startup? Using gpsctl is unreliable for some reason.

As you see, not reliable.  Best way is to use some other way to force
your GPS into the mode you want, and save that as the default config
in the GPS.  The start gpsd with "gpsd -b" so gpsd does not override your
configuration.

You might also try using gpsctl to put the GPS into NMEA mode and
then start gpsd with the -b flag so it does not overwrite your GPS
settings.

> I can't find a WATCH string that does it.

'gpsctl -n' can be run while gpsd is running to try to put the GPS
in NMEA mode.  Give it a try.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588