gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04

From: Andrew McKay
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:38:37 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm having a few issues with gpsd on Ubuntu 18.04.  I know the GPS works fine as it was working on a previous install of Ubuntu on this laptop. I just upgraded to 18.04 to get the system up to date.  The previous LTS I had installed had gone out of support.

So gpspipe was not showing any data which was my first sign something was amiss.  I killed gpsd and I'm unable to get it started again on the command line as port 2947 is still showing as being used:

address@hidden:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd stop
[....] Stopping gpsd (via systemctl): gpsd.serviceWarning: Stopping gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
  gpsd.socket
. ok
address@hidden:~$ netstat -anpt
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:2947          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
address@hidden:~$ sudo gpsd -N -D3 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyUSB0
gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.17)
gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use
gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!
gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv6 port gpsd, Address already in use
gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!
gpsd:INFO: command sockets creation failed, netlib errors -1, -1
address@hidden:~$ sudo fuser 2947/tcp
2947/tcp:                1

The other strange thing to me is that the 2947 port is still showing as listening after gpsd is stopped or killed.  Using fuser is showing that PID 1 is the process owning this port.  So it's like gpsd failed to bind to the socket but for some reason systemd process is hosling on to it.

Since I couldn't get that method working I disabled gpsd start on boot and rebooted.  I was able to manually start gpsd to the correct ttyUSBx device and gpspipe was working fine.  So the software works.  However if I try to start gpsd manually with upstart or calling the init script directly it shows the same behavior as when the service is enabled to start at boot.  As you can see below if I start gpsd manually it shows that gpsd is holding on to the 2947 socket instead if the init process like above.

address@hidden:~$ sudo fuser 2947/tcp
2947/tcp:             1466
address@hidden:~$ ps 1466
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 1466 ?        S<s    0:00 gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyUSB0
address@hidden:~$

Any help would be appreciated!  For the time being I can manually bring up gpsd.  But would much prefer if it came up as a part of regular system starting.  Let me know if there is any other information I can provide!