gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD - How to create a virtual GPS Source with lat/lon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD - How to create a virtual GPS Source with lat/lon as input
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:50:10 -0800

Yo Jules!

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 07:17:21 +0000
"Hammenecker, Jules" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've looked at gpsfake which is indeed almost what is needed.

A common thread here.  gpsd is never eactly what someone is looking
for.

> However, I would like to update the lat/lon every second or so, so
> should I stop gpsfake, update the file and relaunch gspfake?

That could work.  Why not just have gpsfake replay the same file over
and over again

If you are trying to get live data that does not repeat, then best
to have gpsd read it directly.  gpsfake is intended for static data.

You can have gpsd read from a tcp port:

        gpsd -n tcp://127.0.0.1:9000

From a UDP port

        gpsd -n udp://127.0.0.1:9000

Or have your program create a pseudo tty:

        gpsd -n /dev/ttyFAKE

Just remember the "-n".

> Or can
> gpsfake accept named pipes?

Dunno.  Give it a try, if that works we should document it.

> Kind regards (and my apologies for my previous mail signature, was
> not intended 😉 ) ,

Luckily you can remove it.  Some email admins are forced to place such
foolishness in all outbound email...

> > $GPGSA,A,3,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0.0,0.0,0.0*32
> > $GPGSV,1,1,01,00,00,000,00,00,00,000,00,00,00,000,00,00,00,000,00*78
>
> Those two do not look correct...

And you realize why those two are wrong?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588