gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API

From: pisymbol .
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:03:42 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:49 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo pisymbol!

Gary, sorry about the quoting. I'm using Gmail and usually its pretty good with stuff like this.

For some reason your email client is quoting strangely, so hard to
tell what is repeated and what is new.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:57:33 -0400
"pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:

> > With the newer style API, if I want to take real-time samples from
> > the Trimble via gpsd  can I just so session.next()? Will that
> > always give me the latest sample?
> >
> > It looks like the samples are buffered so I would have to
> > continually
> drain it to get the latest sample, is that right? I am doing that now
> in a separate process (it just copied out the latest sample so an
> arbitrary number of threads and read it).

The samples are buffering because you are not reading them.  You need
to keep up with the incoming messages.

Yes, I see that and now that is what I'm doing. I wrote a poller process that is just reading samples continuously (no sleep)
and emits a sample into shared memory for other threads to pick up. The change is being tested as I write this to see if the "lag" issue disappears that I saw on 3.9.

> Finally, my Trimble is emitting GGA strings and I want to get the fix
> (if it's in RT[KX] mode (4)). How do I get that from the report? I
> don't see it.

GGA is not enough.  Try "gpsutil -n" to setup your GNSS with a good
sentence mix.  That works on a lot of receivers.

A good mix, depending on your application, may be something like:

 GPGLL   - Geographic Position - Latitude longitude
 GPRMC   - Recommended Minimum Specific GNSS Sentence
 GPVTG   - Course Over Ground and Ground Speed
 GPGGA   - GPS Fix Data
 GPGSA   - GNSS DOPS and Active Satellites
 GPGSV   - GNSS Satellites in View
 GPZDA   - Time & Date

Without knowing your Trimble model, and application, it is hard to say
what your optimal may be.

Are you saying I have to enable more strings for gpsd to give me a fix?

Basically, what I am asking is how can I get access to the GGA quality indicator number from the python client API?

https://www.trimble.com/OEM_ReceiverHelp/V4.44/en/NMEA-0183messages_GGA.html

Field 6.

-aps