gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Cannot launch gpsd from terminal on Fedora 29

From: pisymbol .
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Cannot launch gpsd from terminal on Fedora 29
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 12:22:18 -0400

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:43 AM Ellon Paiva <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On 8/28/19 3:38 PM, pisymbol . wrote:
What does strace show? Is there anything in /var/log/syslog/messages?

You'll find my strace output attached. From the end of the strace, it seems that I the version string should be printed, although there's nothing appearing on my terminal:

access("/etc/selinux/config", F_OK)     = 0
access("/etc/system-fips", F_OK)        = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
fstat(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0666, st_rdev=makedev(0x1, 0x3), ...}) = 0
ioctl(1, TCGETS, 0x7ffe619f9f40)        = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
write(1, "gpsd: 3.17 (revision 3.17)\n", 27) = 27
exit_group(0)                           = ?
+++ exited with 0 +++

There are also some other errors in the trace, like ENOTTY... maybe that's the source of the problem?

Also, I don't have a /var/log/syslog dir on my machine. Was it supposed to have one?

/var/log/messages I believe on Fedora. Any output related to gpsd in there?

The strace shows that gpsd did write to standard output (1) the version information. But you aren't seeing it? Is that correct?

For comparison, I asked my collegue to run "strace gpsd -V" on his machine that has the behavior I'm expecting. The results are also attached.
Note that `systemctl status gpsd` should also give you a clue.

I can make gpsd work through systemctl. There I can see the expected outputs there, but I would like to run it on foreground and from my terminal to debug a program of mine that will somehow interact with gpsd.

Are you just ssh'ing into your machine and running gpsd? I assume you have a valid tty. Any chance SELINUX is causing an issue? (if it's enabled (sestatus), try disabling it or making it permissive and see what happens).

-aps