gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] SOLVED: Re: gpsd clients on debian 10 buster

From: Charles Curley
Subject: [gpsd-users] SOLVED: Re: gpsd clients on debian 10 buster
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 19:16:53 -0600

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 17:37:08 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yo Charles!
>
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 15:44:58 -0600
> Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 16:58:01 -0400
> > "pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install python3-gi python-gi
>
> Are oth needed?  Or is one python2 and one python3?

I should warn you, I am pythonicly illiterate. Here's what I know:

root@jhegaala:~# pre python | grep gi
python-gi       3.30.4-1                amd64
python3-gi      3.30.4-1                amd64
python3-gi-cairo        3.30.4-1                amd64
root@jhegaala:~#

> > * The satellite plot in the skyview is missing, and
>
> Are you getting SKY JSON?

Yes. {"class":"SKY","device":"/dev/ttyACM0","xd... etc.

What I see is a good satellite list, and the JSON widget. The window is
not resizable, so anything below the JSON widget is lost below the
bottom of my display. The Skyview is blank, and white.

> > * I get a lot of "TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter
> > for 'cairo.Context'" messages on the terminal from which I launched
> > it.
>
> cairo tends to mutate.  I'm not sure what is going on there.  Can you
> supply the full text of the errors?

I get a lot of lines, all saying:

TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'

I get no other messages.

SOLVED:

Just for the halibut, I googled on that text. One result said to
install python-gi-cairo. Apparently this is not the same as
python3-gi-cairo, which I already had installed. That solved that
problem. xgpsspeed now also works (and looks very nice!).

Bernd, is this thread enough to give you what you need to know, or
shall I file a bug at Debian?

Thank you.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but