gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] TOFF and PPS values from gpspipe

From: Kaya Saman
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] TOFF and PPS values from gpspipe
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 22:54:38 +0100

Yo Gary!

On 8/29/19 9:58 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Kaya!

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:17:05 +0100
Kaya Saman <address@hidden> wrote:

At least that gives you a starting point.  When you get someething
running we would appreciate a copy we can share with the next
person.

[ Snip]

I created a folder to show what I've done. It's a pretty custom job
based around 2x Pine64-LTS SBC's. The 3rd Pine is just for messing
around with and trying out stuff.
I was hoping for running code, but that is also interesting.

There are 2x bash shell scripts there.

Basically both Pine's run FreeBSD 13-Current. The one with a green
color display is linked to a Garmin 18x-LVS
Ouch. The 18x is ancient and obsolete.

https://ncloud.optiplex-networks.com/index.php/s/y5ggsWKDpgzCfDN

Annoyingly slow, so I did not have the time to look at more than a few...

Eh.... nobody told me lol I only purchased it a few months back, well... that and Garmin still have it listed on their site:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/cOEM-cSensorsAndBoards-p1.html

Ah oh deary.... sorry about the speed of the site. It's probably the VDSL2 line from my ISP only having 20Mb/s upstream and the fact that the backend DB is running on a low power CPU.

I just switched the folder across to Dropbox. In the meantime I separated things a little so scripts have their own folder now and the media is in it's own.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6g49qtt84cc5m63/AAAR-RtuplSPfvCqqyP1_e2ra/Media?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Hopefully the speed will better!! :-) :-) - there are a few vids in there as well showing what the box can do.

It'll probably be tonight were I'll try extracting the TOFF and PPS data from gpspipe properly. Currently it's in the solar-display.sh script which basically just dumps the whole thing on screen <eek not very nice I know!>

I also need to try to get a few more screens in the astro-display.sh script to show more data about twilight times, and meridian transition times etc; and some more GPS info for the solar-display.sh script too as in Longitude/Latitude values etc... should be relatively easy from the NMEA sentances ;-)

I'm using uart2 for the displays and uart4 for the GPS. Quick note:
the PPS signal I inverted in the OS after tests with the shifter
showed that the output was inverting the original ->
dev.uart.4.pps_mode=17
No need.  gpsd automagically selects the proper edge.

Oh, ok cool - thanks for letting me know :-)

As mentioned the Newhaven's don't have an Lcdproc driver which I will
need to look at in the future. They are based on the HD44780 codeset
but it is converted on the PCB from separate commands centric to the
Newhaven serial range of displays. <- this is because they have I2C
and SPI interfaces as well.
Those seem to be more and more common.  They usually work too.

The HD44780 codeset based displays work fine but the Newhaven has it's own command subset which is layered on top then 'translated' into HD44780 commands - confusing I know ;-)

It's kind of like using the CrystalFontz, iMon, PicoLCD drivers; there is a driver written for the Newhaven in Lcd4Linux but it doesn't compile and judging by the editing dates of the project it seems to be dead?

In the scipts the 'echo -en '\xfe\....' commands are basically sending Hex data to the display to clear it, move the cursor etc....

Overall it's a large project which I've had to build from the ground
up including re-designing and wiring the whole buildings electrical
layout. But it was well worth it eventually as the system seems to
have become more intelligent then me at the moment lol :-) :-)
Kill it before it attains sentience.  :-)

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588