gpsd-users

Re: Change from 3.23 to 3.24 - program doesn't work?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Change from 3.23 to 3.24 - program doesn't work?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:16:49 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 22:48:28 +0100
Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org> wrote:

> >> I fully understand that if I install matching versions of
> >> gpsd/libgps everything will work,
> > So, have you?  Or have you not?
>
> I do not have mis-matched versions at this time.  The gpds version
> 3.22 and libgps match, **BUT** I am trying to code to detect
> mis-matched versions in the future.

How about just use the already coded checks?  Don't reinvent code.

    ients/cgps.c, lines 822-834.

> highlighted in red

Uh?  Red?  All my email is black and white.  If you are doing any
formatting, I will never see it, most others will never see it.

>- the variable names are 'proto_major' and
> 'proto_minor' but the comment says API major and API minor.

Those can never mismatch.  When you compile and link they will always
match between include and libgps.

> I have created a test/demo program based on my code that includes the
> whole of my low-level GPSD client module gpsd.[c,h], my cross
> platform timer routines (which are needed) and test.c - a README file
> exists to aid the reader.

I suggest you read the doc, a lot wrong in there.  Starting right at the
top:

    #include "gpsd.h"

Never, ever, use gpsd.h, As it says at the top, which you must never have
read:

 * Nothing in this file should be used by any client.  So safe to change
 * anything here without (directly) affecting the API or ABI.

And it quickly becomes apparent you have not read example.c which explains
why most of wht you did can not work:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-client-example-code.html

God do some serious reading.

RGDS