gpsd-users

Re: Wind

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Wind
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 12:45:50 -0700

Yo Владимир!

On Mon, 29 May 2023 20:35:24 +0300
Владимир Калачихин <v.kalachikhin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to create NMEA flow generator with wind info. And I see a
> strange.

The NMEA/AIS world is strange.

> First:
> As it seems to me, min NMEA flow for this must contain RMC and MWV
> sentences only.

Sounds more like a maximum, or ceiling, then a minimum.

Wind can also come from WMD instead of WMV.  If there is a wind message
that gpsd misses, then let us know.

> And it is so for SignalK.

What is SignalK?  Why do we care?

> But not for gpsd.

What is not for gpsd?

> In order for the gpsd return 'wspeedX', in NMEA must also be a DBT
> sentence. Am I missing something?

Needing depth to get wind speed would be a bug.  Can you provide a short
message sample that proves this?

> Second strange:
> The result of
> gpsdecode < shortWithWind.nmemea
> is different from
> gpsfake shortWithWind.nmea

Of course, they do different things.

> I do:
> in one terminal:
> gpsfake shortWithWind.nmea
> in other terminal:
> gpspipe -w
> I see a 'wangler' in json.
>
> If I remove last string from shortWithWind.nmea and repeated - no a
> 'wangler' field in json.

Oh.  Your sample is too short.  gpsd does not understand short test samples.
gpsd expectes a continuous data stream, and tries to combine consecutive
messages into fewer JSON messages.  But there were no more incoming messages
to help push out the stacked up messages.   Users/clients complain when
gpsd sends one message out for each message in.

Twy a 3 second message stream and things will work better.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588