Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 05:11:48 +1000

At 2019-06-29T18:13:57+0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> On top of the above, i consider that
[telling pagers to interpret ISO 6429 escape sequences]
> bad advice.  If you think people need to be told about roff's bad
> habit of defaulting to SGR escapes, then let's recommend groff(1) -c
> rather than less(1) -R.
[...]
> Same point again: please recommend groff(1) -c rather than less(1) -R.

I could not disagree with you more about this.

Video display terminals simply are not paper teletypes.  They just
aren't.  The technology is radically different.  You can't
constructively overstrike, for one thing.

(Not without special support, hence supplementary attributes on
character cells that indicate bold and/or underlining).

By your reasoning, there's no point supporting UTF-8 because there is no
teletype device in the entire world with a typeball large enough to
strike all the defined code points in Basic Multilingual Plane.

Regards,
Branden