Re: Compressed man pages

From: Mingye Wang
Subject: Re: Compressed man pages
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:35:38 +0800

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 4:36 PM Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:
> If you're putting effort into researching another compressor then
> consider lzip(1).  https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip.html
>
> Its author compares it against xz in particular.
> https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html

lzip is cool and all, but the thing is we are talking about storage
for distribution on every single person's computer in single-file
form, not archiving into a tarball. We are looking at a world where
almost every system has xz installed because of some past decisions,
unfortunate or not.

Regards,
Mingye