Re: [TUHS] Re: symbols in eqnchar

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Re: symbols in eqnchar
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:26:31 +1000 (AEST)

Hi Branden,

I do not believe we need to change EQN's include. Way too many hairy issues.

For what it is worth, can we introduce a troff command

        .SO filename

which, if processed by gtroff (and that is a bif IF), searches the path

        $GROFF_TMAC_PATH

or if that is empty, some default path, e.g.

        . : [GROFF_INSTALL]/../../site-tmac : [GROFF_INSTALL]/tmac

for a file called filename and interpolates that in place.

I am not sure we let it interpolate based on the -I options although if
such a feature is wanted, introduce a -Jpath option that .SO will honour.
Not sure that we let .SO honour the -Mpath option but I could be wrong.

No existing feature changes to gtroff, but there is an addition!

Or you could simply say that gtroff just ignores a .SO for now.

But we must modify 'soelim' to handle this new .SO command.

The '-s' option to 'groff' allows us to call 'soelim' BEFORE the 'eqn'
preprocessor.

This then allows us to put

        .SO eqnchar

at the start of a document if we want to interpolate the contents of some
file called 'eqnchar' which contains definitions (or whatever) into our
document because this interpolation is done BEFORE 'eqn' is called so the
contents are available to 'eqn'.

Do not mess with

        .so

Adding

        .SO

avoids a breaking change.

My 2c in the absence of some suggestions otherwise. Maybe somebody wiser
than me has a better idea.

Thanks - Damian