Re: building groff 1.23.0 on z/OS

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: building groff 1.23.0 on z/OS
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 06:39:19 -0600

[shifting discussion to main groff list]

Hi Mike,

At 2023-11-18T17:35:26-0800, Mike Fulton wrote:
> I have hit a problem trying to build the latest groff.
> I am able to successfully build 1.22.4
>
> The issue I am hitting is that there is a `#include <assert.h>` before
> the `config.h` file is included.
>
> Unfortunately on z/OS, `assert.h` includes `stdio.h` and the `stdio.h`
> that is pulled in is from `lib/stdio.h`. The `stdio.h` references
> `restrict` which is properly defined to __restrict__ in `config.h` but
> it isn't included yet... This causes a nasty compiler error.
[...]
> I confirmed that including `config.h` before the assert.h gave me a
> clean compile.
>
> I can imagine a number of ways to 'fix' this. Should `config.h` be
> included before assert.h from the cpp file? If so, that's a number of
> files that would need to be changed.

I apologize for the problem; it appears to arise from a change I made
right as groff 1.23.0 was going into code freeze.

It sounds pretty closely related to the following changes:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=0c7866632d0490ac452de609c3c4d624a170c8a6

...which should have prevented this issue, but then...

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=ccc63e65c723e235fafc5099b383959c92664c38

...appears to have resurrected it in a few files.

Would you like to file a Savannah ticket for this problem or would you
prefer that I did?

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff&func=additem

Regards,
Branden