Re: Is there a Groff showcase?

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: Is there a Groff showcase?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:33:42 +1100

On 15/12/23 12:44, Larry McVoy wrote:
Here's the intro at the top of the -ms doc:
<lots of good stuff snipped>

It may be worth noting that you do not need to use the ms macro package or any macro package at all (apart from the built-in macros, of course).

I usually create a defined string (.ds) or number register (.nr) somewhere very close to the top of the input file. Then, before the substantive document starts you use Larry's idea to list the various parameters.

.ds Answers marker
.ie '\^[Answers]'marker' \{\
.  etc etc etc
.  \}
.  el \{\
.    etc etc etc
.    \}
[you can nest conditionals till the cows come home and you don't need double backslashes] Also defined strings (.ds) is very powerful and worth reading the man/info pahes.
.\" Start of substantive document.
[provide your alternatives based on the value of "\*[Answers]"]
you may have to use ".nop" if you need indenting to save your sanity.
you can use loops as well.

My 2 cents to an interesting discussion.

Robert Thorsby