Re: [TUHS] Re: Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

From: Lennart Jablonka
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Re: Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:39:58 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
I went ahead and write a little C/A/T-to-later-troff-output converter in
v7-friendly and C89-conforming C:

https://git.sr.ht/~humm/catdit

This is an exciting prospect but I can't actually see anything there.

I get an error.

"401 Unauthorized

You don't have the necessary permissions to access this page. Index"

Oh no! I did set the repository to “public,” but I guess part of the aftermath of the recent events involving a large DDoS on SourceHut is that that setting wasn’t applied. Nonetheless, SourceHut is an awesome platform.

I re-set the visibility to “public.” Now you are able to see the repo.

and the character codes emitted are still those of the C/A/T,
resulting in the wrong glyphs being used.

The codes should probably be remapped by default, with a command-line
option to restore the original ones.  I would of course recommend
writing out 'C' commands with groff special character names.

The C instruction exists in AT&T troff, just not for names longer (or shorter?) than two characters. I’d rather not depend on groff. But yes, for such a remapping, I’ll probably use the c and C instructions.

PS: Branden, for rougher results, if you happen to have a Tektronix
4014 at hand (like the one emulated by XTerm), you can use that to
look at v7 troff’s output.  Tell your SIMH to pass control bytes
through and run troff -t | tc.

I'd love to, just please make your repo available to the public.  :)

For that, you don’t need my repo. Set up your v7 system. Attach some serial lines (dc in your kernel config, the lines in /etc/ttys, the dci device of SIMH). Let SIMH pass control characters through (`set dco0 7b`). Connect via telnet or whatever from an XTerm and switch to Tektronix 4014 mode. Use tc(1) to your heart’s content. It won’t be pretty, but the line breaks will match.