Re: Accent mystery

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: Accent mystery
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:39:53 -0500

Robert --

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024, Robert Goulding via wrote:
> I have been trying to figure this out all morning! I have a handout with
> the word "kataskeuĂȘ" in it. Every time I try to compile it (groff -Tpdf -k
> -ms) I get the warning: warning: special character 'u0053_0326' not defined
> (Same if I go the ps2pdf route)
>

> Try and compile this minimal file
>
> .LP
> kataskeuĂȘ
>
> Do you get a warning, and a weird character in the pdf?

I didn't get the warning and the pdf rendered properly.  However, I
had something similar crop up recently and the solution turned out
to be related to the fact that my file contained only one accented
character.  In such cases, explictly stating the character encoding
with the -K flag is supposed to fix the issue.  But...

Your minimal file renders fine on my system without -Kutf8 *and* I
recently encountered a file with a single accented character where
passing -Kutf8 had no effect (I had to introduce the character
"silently" in an unused diversion to fix the problem).

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca