Re: Version string with git(1) (-dirty)

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Version string with git(1) (-dirty)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:25:05 +0100

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 03:20:58PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> I notice that when I build groff(1) from source, it gets its version
> from git(1), and if the repository is dirty (has modifications on top of
> the last commit), the version string has a "-dirty" suffix.
>
> I was wondering how you get the version string, because I'd like to use
> that "-dirty" suffix in the Linux man-pages too.  Currently, I'm doing:
>
>       $ grep -rh ^DISTVERSION.*= share/mk/
>       DISTVERSION := $(patsubst man-pages-%,%,$(DISTNAME))
>       $ grep -rh ^DISTNAME.*= share/mk/
>       DISTNAME    := $(shell $(GIT) describe)
>
> which results in the following version string:
>
>       $ make nothing -p | grep ^DISTVERSION.*=
>       DISTVERSION := 6.06-25-g9af39fc94
>
> even with a dirty repository.
>
> So, how do you get that "-dirty" suffix?  Is it autotools?  Or git?  Or
> is it specific to the groff build system?  I could use some shell code
> in the makefile to get it, but was asking mainly in case git already
> gives that somehow.

Never mind, I should RTFM.  :)

$ MANWIDTH=72 man git-describe | sed -n '/^ *--dirty/,/^$/p'
     --dirty[=<mark>], --broken[=<mark>]
         Describe the state of the working tree. When the working tree
         matches HEAD, the output is the same as "git describe HEAD".
         If the working tree has local modification "-dirty" is
         appended to it. If a repository is corrupt and Git cannot
         determine if there is local modification, Git will error out,
         unless ‘--broken’ is given, which appends the suffix
         "-broken" instead.