Re: Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encod

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encodings
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:34:39 -0600

On 3/8/24, ropers <ropers@gmail.com> wrote:
> The thing I've given up on was figuring out how to preview my
> edits to groff.texi

This took me a while to figure out at first too, and the procedure
gained an extra step since that time (when groff.texi was converted to
groff.texi.in to require preprocessing) so it's harder to figure out
today: a simple "makeinfo" on the .in file returns errors, and the
novice won't know whether that's his fault or the file's.  Anyway,
here's what I currently use as a quick-n-dirty previewer:

sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi.in | makeinfo --plaintext | less

This loses all the info-ey aspects of it (to me, a plus), but shows
you all the text in a formatted state.