Re: the Courier font family and nroff history (was: mandoc(1)'s man page

From: Lennart Jablonka
Subject: Re: the Courier font family and nroff history (was: mandoc(1)'s man pages, groffed, and Project KIC)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:12:08 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
At 2024-03-19T19:59:58+0000, Lennart Jablonka wrote:
Right.  We can emulate the nonsense typewriter /emulators/ do.  I do
think that we shouldn’t do that, either.

I would not describe character-cell video terminals as "typewriter
emulators" precisely because they don't emulate typewriters well in
certain respects.  The most obvious of these is that CCVTs, if you will,
don't overstrike.

Right. Not typewriter emulators, then, but typewriter emulator emulators. I don’t think we need to emulate typewriter emulator emulators.

        .Sarcasm
        What’s next?
        Should the printed book of Groff man pages be read with 300 baud?
        If I don't understand something, should I send a break signal,
        for the book to switch to a different baud rate?
        .EndSarcasm

Back in the cradle, at the Bell Labs CSRC, the team famously pursued a
human-computer interface gambit, skipping over so-called "glass TTYs"
altogether, leapfrogging from paper terminals to a Xerox PARC-esque
portrait-mode green screen graphical terminal with mouse called,
variously, the "Jerq", the "Blit", and "DMD 5620".  In the Eighth
Edition Unix manual you can read much about the intended interface to
this device.  Rob Pike's fingerprints coated this system thoroughly.

While I never used a hardware Blit, I have used both Plan 9 and its device multiplexer rio(1), whose interface is very similar to mpx/mux, and 9front’s Blit-emulator with an 8th Edition VM. Coming from the Plan 9 world, it’s always fun to read how much of what we think of special of Plan 9 appeared in Research Unix’s last three editions. Beside the other stuff there.

Late Research Unix had both troff and TeX in use, but did you know about its own new typesetting program, monk?

https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V10/vol2/monk/monk.m

That is why I value and appreciate your patch to make grotty a
terminfo(3) application, even though I'm slow as hell to integrate it.

Yes, I probably would move a little faster if I didn't spend entire
mornings composing emails like this one.  :-|

Not to worry: While I do wish for upstream grotty to use terminfo soon, I also enjoy reading your emails like that one.