Re: Licensing of Guile code loaded by libguile.so

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Licensing of Guile code loaded by libguile.so
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 06:56:02 -0700

Hi Arne,

On Thu, Jun 13 2024, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> The rule of thumb is, if you want proprietary software to use your
> code, you must choose LGPL.

> So I think your code would be part of the corresponding source of the
> linked libguile, which would propagate the requirements of the GPL.

Okay, but does that also mean my code--when licensed under the LGPL and
loaded by a proprietary program via libguile.so---may not call any Guile
code released under the GPL?

I am thinking specifically about the GNU Shepherd.

For context, my software aims to replace a common system facility.  The
current license is GPL, although the C piece that starts Guile via
libguile.so is available under the LGPL.  Likewise releasing the
remainder under the LGPL, however, logically implies that no interpreted
GPL code may be called by my software.  Is that right?

Kind regards
Felix

P.S. I'm not subscribed to your list; please copy me on your replies.