Re: Roadmap to 2.8 platform bindings

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Roadmap to 2.8 platform bindings
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:15:36 +0100

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> We probably need custom wrappers for the two fields of GtkDialog;
> i.e. gtk_dialog_vbox() and gtk_dialog_action_area().

In line with the GTK api, these would need to be gtk-dialog-get-vbox and
gtk-dialog-get-action-area. They are getters, after all.

> See glib/test-suite/gobject.test; it would be something like

Better to refer people to the tutorial on
http://ambient.2y.net/tmp/guile-gnome/.

> (make <gtk-attach-options> #:value '(fill expand)).

We need to keep the GValue API out of the public API. For example, any
function that takes a flags argument should take the list '(fill expand)
and make the GValue for you. Just for the record. And that is how it
works now.

> I could imagine a function used like this:
>
> (gtk-stock-id 'close)

I really think that most of this should be implemented within the
wrapper functions. That means more work on our side, but it's a
higher-level API than the C one.

> Also note that you should definitly use generics in your code, so
>
> (gtk-dialog-add-button dialog "gtk-close" -1)
>
> will become
>
> (add-button dialog "gtk-close" -1)

I agree, I'm also lazy :-)

Cheers,