Re: When trying guile-gnome I get "Unbound variable: <gboxed>"

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: When trying guile-gnome I get "Unbound variable: <gboxed>"
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 18:32:18 -0300

Hello,

You should consider using guile-gi or g-golf instead, guile-gnome is
ok, but very old (it binds glib 2.16 and gtk 2.10 ...) and somewhat
unmaintained - it compiles and passes its checks but that's about
it, and no more 'effort' will be dedicated to it in the future, afaict:

        https://spk121.github.io/guile-gi/
        https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/

Disclaimer: I'm the G-Golf author and maintainer

Both projects use GObject Introspection , they differ mostly in their
coding approach (guile-gi is mostly written in C, while G-Golf is
mostly written in scheme) and in their 'paradigm' (guile-gi
implements the message passing paradigm as 'proposed' by the
gnome team to GI binding implementers, and as a user, you invoke
(GObject 'imported') methods, where in G-Golf, everything is available
using goops, including ref/set! properties, and as a user, you are 'in
and use' a generic function 'paradigm' ... 'so to speak', and to make it
short - please read about both projects and make up your own mind ...

If you decide to go with G-Golf, please be aware that it still is
experimental, although getting close to an alpha release, and
there is no tarball, you'll have to install from the source -
instructions on the site - and checkout the devel branch is highly
recommended, g-golf is under extensive development, which all
happens on the devel branch ...

Also, not matter what your choice is, consider joining #guile on
irc.freenode.net and feel free to ping us - there a few g-golf and
guile-gi users 'hanging around and always happy to help ...

> I am trying to get the "hello.scm" example from the guile gtk overview
> website
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/gtk/html/Overview.html>
> to work. However unfortunately I got stuck because guile shows me the
> following error message:
> ```
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:752:25: In procedure dispatch-exception:
> Unbound variable: <gboxed>
>
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>    752:25  0 (dispatch-exception _ _ _)
> ```

Both the gtk/examples/hello.cm and hello-generics.scm provided with
guile-gnome work fine, I just double checked now - so I would think that
something went wrong while installing ...

David