Re: guile or scheme used to implement make or meson

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: guile or scheme used to implement make or meson
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 17:20:01 +0200

On 9/12/23 15:56, Olivier Dion wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2023, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> wrote:
Is using Guile, or a similar Scheme implementation, to re-implement
make or meson realistic?
By re-implementing do you mean re-writing Make with Guile?  That ought
to be realistic, but I really do not see the point of it.

What is more realistic and useful is to make a build system in Guile
where the DSL that replaces Makefiles is Scheme.

I think this already exist in GNU make. Recent versions of it can be extended in GNU guile:

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Guile-Function.html

BTW, my pet open source project (which uses GNU make without the guile extension) is the RefPerSys open source inference engine project (mostly coded in C++, with the ambition to generate C++ code or machine code thru GNU lightning), see https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys/ (and amateurish website http://refpersys.org/ ....). Contributors are welcome.

Regards from near Paris in France.

--
Basile Starynkevitch                  <basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)