Re: Generating "independent" random numbers

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Generating "independent" random numbers
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:16:44 +0200

On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 06:04:45PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 03:08:03PM +0000, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
> > Hello Guile Users,
> >
> > today I want to verify some understanding I have about generating random
> > numbers using Guile.
>
> [...]
>
> > Some time ago, I wanted to generate uniformly distributed floats though.
>
> Wait a minute: you want uniformly distributed floats (in an interval,
> I assume)?

Perhaps something graphical (I hope y'all have fixed pitch fonts ;-)

Uniform probability density (usually across some fixed interval, say [0,1)

    0          1

Normal (say, with expectation value 0.5)

    |  .    .
    0          1

(er... well, more or less). The normal one never gets to zero,
but approaches asymptotically the X line.

Cheers