What does Guile need to compile? (What libunistring does guile need?)

From: Keith Wright
Subject: What does Guile need to compile? (What libunistring does guile need?)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:17:59 -0500

"Ricardo G. Herdt" <r.herdt@posteo.de> writes:

> afaik you typically need the -dev version of the packages, in this case
> libunistring-dev.
> Regards,  Ricardo

Thank you.  That worked to get past that problem, but it's not done yet.

I have been lurking on this mailing list since the days of Aubrey Jaffar
and Tom Lord (~30years) and from time to time downloading and compiling
another version of Guile on another version of Linux.

I don't remember ever having so much trouble with configure; make.

The INSTALL file that comes in the tarball is totally inadequate!
How many mystery dependencies do I need to understand?

Now it says:
   configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
   old. Make sure it is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment
   variable to the full path to pkg-config.

   Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBFFI_CFLAGS
   and LIBFFI_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

   To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
   See `config.log' for more details

I don't have pkg-config installed, and  have no idea how to sef LIBFFI
to avoid the need to call it.
Acording to the web page, pkg-config is a program to read *.pc files.
Where do those come from?  I don't see them in the tarball.

   -- Keith